What’s all this buzz about banks inside of High Schools? About High Schoolers actually running banks? Lynn Raymond, a former bank vice president turned business teacher, shares with us what these new trends and exciting developments in financial literacy are all about! Learn how she got started in bringing banking into the school, the possible pitfalls and the necessary tools to get such programs off the ground. All and all, another exciting interview that sheds light on new innovations in Teaching Financial Literacy!
[Photo By Michael Patrick, Knoxville (Tenn.) News Sentinel]
Resources Related to this Episode
- Article in USA Today:
- When students at Carter High School in Strawberry Plains, Tenn., forget their lunch money, they don’t have to worry about going hungry.Instead, they wander over to one of the five tellers who work at the student-run bank, where they can withdraw money from their savings accounts or fill out short applications for a $5 loan, all without leaving the building, says Lynn Raymond, a banking and finance teacher at the school.
- Read more here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-03-31-schoolbanks_N.htm
- Carter High School in Strawberry Plains, Tennessee –
ON THE ROAD
Upcoming Events by Kathy and Mark
- USF Faculty Presentation- Tampa, FL Feb 23, 2011- Dr. Kathy King
- Induction into Hall of Fame for International Adult and Continung Education- Dr. King, Toronto, Canada, April 6-8, 2011
- NCEA Conference Presentation – New Orleans, LA, April 26-27, 2011- Dr. Kathy King
- AERC-CASAE Conference Presentation- Toronto, Canada, June 9-12, 2011- Dr. Kathy King
- ISTE Conference Presentation – Philadelphia, PA, June 26-29, 2011- Dr. Kathy King
- International Technology conference- Portugal – July 2011- Dr. King (not yet confirmed)
Leave a comment here on the blog/site
- emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- (C) Talking Financial Literacy is copyrighted by The McGraw-Hill Companies, 2008 – 2011. All rights reserved.
See TransformationEd.com for full details of speaking engagements and opportunities to meet Dr King and Mark.
We enjoy meeting our podcast community!
You may contact Mark and Kathy by emailing us at email@example.com
Our podcast feed is: http://feeds.feedburner.com/talkingfinlit
Talking Financial Literacy is produced in collaboration among Dr. Kathleen King and Mark Gura and The McGraw-Hill Companies.